Monday, April 6, 2009

Help

This is stupid, but how do you reply to a post? When I write up a comment and try to post it it won't let me, even when I am signed in and have chosen a gmail id.

Anyway, til I figure it out, this was my response to the writing process.

Maybe the problem is that kids aren't seeing the difference between the first and final draft. I mean, yah there are little improvements usually... but maybe you should really break it down for them how much better a second draft can be. I know I always hated drafts except for the fact that they kept me on top of my duedates. A lot of times I always felt like I could do in one sitting what it took other students multiple times, but I know that wasn't the case. Maybe you could do a class lesson showing the difference... and possibly the difference in grades?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that you have to show the students the differences between drafts. For me, the revision and editing processes are the easiest to push aside and skimp on because of time issues, etc. But I think it's important to emphasize those stages of the process and make time for them. One way to do that is to have examples of the same paper at its different stages and drafts. It's also important to model your thought process during revision.

    I like to tell my students that the stages of the writing process aren't always black and white. For example, sometimes you do some editing while you're writing your first draft. And sometimes you write brand new stuff in your final draft. So that's important, too, because everyone has a different process for writing, and each student needs to have the opportunity to find what works for them.

    ReplyDelete